Sunday, 24 June 2012

The Logistics of Tea Mugs & Strip Tease Arrival

I realize there hasn’t been a blog post for a while so apologies to regular readers.  To be honest I was struggling for a bit of inspiration perhaps because I was so heads down in the writing of an operations manual that the facts were overwhelming any creativity.  Anyway this week I have been working with PIH in Boston and they have encouraged me to get posting again. So here goes.
Image borrowed from        
     "booksntea"          

I am sure you have gathered by my previous blog entries that I love my family and particularly my wife.    There are however some practices where we don’t see eye to eye on and these were particularly noticeable in our first year of marriage.  For instance I have a favourite mug, this mug is capable of containing many litres of tea throughout a day before requiring washing....it’s my way of conserving water.  Not so in the world of Laura, I would quite regularly go to use my favourite mug only to find it was in amongst the dirty crockery smeared with baked bean juice......hmmphhh.  In fact Laura is such a tidier that there would be times when between me getting the mug out and the water boiling for tea it would have been whipped away for washing.
What goes on behind a man's front
door is his own business...
until married!
Now it wouldn’t be fair of me to highlight one of Laura’s idiosyncrasies with out also laying myself bare too.  I was a single man for 35 years and had kind of got into the habit of shedding the stresses of the working day as soon as I got in through the door.....and when I say stresses I really mean my work attire.   Laura once described as a strip tease show between the font door on the bedroom.  I would regularly walk in through the door and start undressing neatly folding garments and leaving them in small piles or over the back of chairs, on the edge of tables until I had made it to the bedroom and switched my attire for something more comfortable.  Now at the most basic level I have ignored any lessons I have learned on where to store things as we looked at way back with Joel’s Christmas Toys.

So what is the logistical point I am driving at here?  Well it is one of the dark corners of logistics......disposals.  Now some people will no doubt argue that this is a finance thing, that it is up to the accountant how they go about writing off unwanted stock and equipment .  To an extent they are correct but if we look at my missing mug and the neatly placed pair of socks draped over the back of a dining room chair that used to drive Laura so crazy, we can perhaps see where the logistics of this comes into playing.
THE TEA MUG
This is a classic problem in warehousing - undefined disposal authority, in the disposal process there should be a nominated authority to say this stays or goes and a process to request a decision.  The symptoms of this can run one of two ways:

  1. Like my missing tea mug anyone can decide that it is time to get rid of some stock and just stock adjust it off and remove it......this is a sure fire way of incurring loss or super inflating your consumption.
  2. No one gets rid of anything because they aren’t sure if they are allowed and your logistics system slowly clogs up with expired or obsolete stock and equipment.  If you find yourself clambering over the same unopened dusty boxes of 1972 bright orange letter-headed paper....you may have a problem.
It is important not to confuse the reason or trigger for disposal with the authority.  The trigger may be expiration, batch recall, damage or just that this stock takes up too much space - the authority should rest in one person or system to say.  For those of you interested I have ceded authority of all crockery items to Laura, who is now the sole arbiter of whether the tea mug needs washing.
THE STRIP TEASE ARRIVAL
This also stems from not having a clearly defined process to govern disposals.  I am clearly the authority for disposing of my garments at the end of the day and I still like to make the switch into board shorts and T-shirt when I can even if it is just to draw a line under the day. What I clearly failed to do was ascertain a suitable means for disposal.


When I consulted other stake holders it turned out that the best disposal method was to place in the laundry bin provided......who'd have thought eh?  In my defence garments usually made the laundry bin eventually, but it took the stakeholders to agree an appropriate time line for this activity.


The moral of this story is that you need a disposals process that governs not only who gets to decide on what is due for disposal but how it gets disposed of.  So if your storeroom is full of dusty old boxes and obsolete equipment you may find that you are metaphorically walking around a room littered with clothes in your tight whiteys looking for a dirty tea mug....... and I think we can all agree that this is rarely going to be considered a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. Disposals are a specific type of what is often called 'reverse logistics', and it is something that we will have to be a lot more careful with than we often are. I wrote about this at more length some years back.

    ReplyDelete